The best thing about Kantha is these can be used throughout your home — on beds, as upholstery and as wall hangings. Kantha Quilts addiction is on trend these days. Being popular these are much in demand and everyone is flowing with this trend.
Kantha quilts originate from eastern state of India and are made from vintage/old saris, layered on top of each other and stitched together. They have vibrant and unexpected colors, intricate patterns and an abundance of embroidered running stitches. It is quite easy to get yourself addicted to kantha quilts. If you would have managed to collect a few over the years, a big congratulations on your wise investment. These are so unique, one must have. Here are 15 places to integrate them into your decor.
1. This exciting and exotic sleep space: By far my best-loved thing to do with kantha quilts is to layer them on top of one other as bedding, as their lightweight nature makes these flawless for the job. Just like layering your clothes, this technique adds physical warmth, but also a relaxed elegance that seems like you haven’t tried too hard. For instance; make your bedroom with this and see the mixture of colorful embroidery draws the eye to the focal point of the room, the sleep space, but also the valuable light coming from the window.
2. This understated and dignified sleep space: These vintage kantha quilts are double sided, means reversible in nature – so they’re great for introducing an instant mixing and matching of patterns to add notice to a neutral bedroom scheme. To make this look, use a crisp white bedcover and layer your multi-color kantha quilts over the top (turn down the top of your blankets for a peek at the pattern underneath). Make sure you stumble them, so that one quilt sits higher than the other —this way both quilts are on unevil. Find accessories like books, plates or cushions that echo some of the colors in the quilt to tie the look together.
3. As a table runner: Why didn’t I think of this sooner? Kantha quilts make stunning tablecloths and runner! There is no need for any fancy cutlery or crockery here, because all eyes will be focused on the beautiful Kantha table cover. I’ll also let you in on a little secret: This patchwork Kantha table runner is the ultimate disguise for spills and drips at dinnertime.
4. This upholstered chaise: Like a knight in shining armor, this beautiful kantha cotton fabric has been draped across the seating area of this stunning black velvet antique sofa.
5. This show stopping scalloped chair: The vivid colors and patterns found in these Kantha blankets are so versatile that whatever the combination, these seem to work together. Here, a cheerful scalloped chair has been upholstered in a kaleidoscope of kantha fabric made from vintage saris.
6. As a colourful ottomans: Resting your feet has never been so contemporary with ottomans and footstools covered in godly kantha fabric. These are such an affirmation piece even when not in use. Plus, they’re practical — you’ll thank yourself for these handy seats when you’re lurch around with your shoelaces. If you aren’t feeling confident enough to slice up your quilts, hire a professional to upholster the seats for you.
7. As winter warmers: Searching for a lap blanket or something to take the edge off the cold when dining outdoors? Lightweight and available in various sizes, these kantha blankets are perfect for popping on your lap. Hang over the back of chairs; they can be obtained with ease.
8. As headboard: Attaching a multi-colored kantha quilt to a headboard is a creative way to preserve and display a precious blanket. As most kantha quilts are double sided, I would suggest a semi-permanent method of attachment — such as safety pins or Velcro — so that you have the option to flip the quilt and show off the reverse side as well. Easy to switch as per your mood.
9. As cushion Cover: When shopping for kantha quilts, it is sometimes hard to choose which one or two that you should buy. All of these are so gracious. Keep in mind that they can be made into kantha cushion covers, which means with a mix of colors and patterns available, you can take advantage of having a lot in same piece.
10. As a boho-chic kids’ chair: If you are searching for an everlasting way to make over a chair, you may like to consider using a kantha blanket. It’s astounding how versatile kantha is for different decorating styles. It seems to adjunct almost any setting by adding just a touch of color and pattern — not so much that it overtakes other sections in a room.
11. As a Wall Hanging: Each kantha quilt is like an original and unique piece of art and deserves to be treated as such. No piece is alike. Hang your kanthas on the wall and they will be treasured by all. And the bonus of a kantha wall hanging is that you can turn it over because of their reversible nature to reveal the pattern on the other side whenever you’re ready for a new look.
12. Over a bench: Over the back of a chair, on a bench, as a table runner or even as a picnic blanket, There are so many alternatives of using your kantha quilts. Hope you have enjoyed reading our Kantha Quilts addiction tips.
Are you ready to add a few more to your collection? SHOP NOW