The best thing about Kantha is these can be used throughout your home — on beds, as upholstery and as wall hangings.
Kantha quilts originate from eastern state of India and are made from vintage/old saris, layered on top of each other and stitched together. They have vibrant and unexpected colors, intricate patterns and an abundance of embroidered running stitches. It is quite easy to get yourself addicted to kantha quilts. If you would have managed to collect a few over the years, a big congratulations on your wise investment. These are so unique, one must have. Here are 15 places to integrate them into your decor.
1. This exciting and exotic sleep space: By far my best-loved thing to do with kantha quilts is to layer them on top of one other as bedding, as their lightweight nature makes these flawless for the job. Just like layering your clothes, this technique adds physical warmth, but also a relaxed elegance that seems like you haven’t tried too hard. For instance; make your bedroom with this and see the mixture of colorful embroidery draws the eye to the focal point of the room, the sleep space, but also the valuable light coming from the window.
2. This understated and dignified sleep space: These vintage kantha quilts are double sided, means reversible in nature – so they’re great for introducing an instant mixing and matching of patterns to add notice to a neutral bedroom scheme. To make this look, use a crisp white bedcover and layer your multi-color kantha quilts over the top (turn down the top of your blankets for a peek at the pattern underneath). Make sure you stumble them, so that one quilt sits higher than the other —this way both quilts are on unevil. Find accessories like books, plates or cushions that echo some of the colors in the quilt to tie the look together.
3. As a table runner: Why didn’t I think of this sooner? Kantha quilts make stunning tablecloths and runner! There is no need for any fancy cutlery or crockery here, because all eyes will be focused on the beautiful Kantha table cover. I’ll also let you in on a little secret: This patchwork Kantha table runner is the ultimate disguise for spills and drips at dinnertime.
4. This upholstered chaise: Like a knight in shining armor, this beautiful kantha cotton fabric has been draped across the seating area of this stunning black velvet antique sofa.
5. This show stopping scalloped chair: The vivid colors and patterns found in these Kantha blankets are so versatile that whatever the combination, these seem to work together. Here, a cheerful scalloped chair has been upholstered in a kaleidoscope of kantha fabric made from vintage saris.
6. As a colourful ottomans: Resting your feet has never been so contemporary with ottomans and footstools covered in godly kantha fabric. These are such an affirmation piece even when not in use. Plus, they’re practical — you’ll thank yourself for these handy seats when you’re lurch around with your shoelaces. If you aren’t feeling confident enough to slice up your quilts, hire a professional to upholster the seats for you.
7. As winter warmers: Searching for a lap blanket or something to take the edge off the cold when dining outdoors? Lightweight and available in various sizes, these kantha blankets are perfect for popping on your lap. Hang over the back of chairs; they can be obtained with ease.
8. As headboard: Attaching a multi-colored kantha quilt to a headboard is a creative way to preserve and display a precious blanket. As most kantha quilts are double sided, I would suggest a semi-permanent method of attachment — such as safety pins or Velcro — so that you have the option to flip the quilt and show off the reverse side as well. Easy to switch as per your mood.
9. As cushion Cover: When shopping for kantha quilts, it is sometimes hard to choose which one or two that you should buy. All of these are so gracious. Keep in mind that they can be made into kantha cushion covers, which means with a mix of colors and patterns available, you can take advantage of having a lot in same piece.
10. As a boho-chic kids’ chair: If you are searching for an everlasting way to make over a chair, you may like to consider using a kantha blanket. It’s astounding how versatile kantha is for different decorating styles. It seems to adjunct almost any setting by adding just a touch of color and pattern — not so much that it overtakes other sections in a room.
11. As a Wall Hanging: Each kantha quilt is like an original and unique piece of art and deserves to be treated as such. No piece is alike. Hang your kanthas on the wall and they will be treasured by all. And the bonus of a kantha wall hanging is that you can turn it over because of their reversible nature to reveal the pattern on the other side whenever you’re ready for a new look.
12. Over a bench: Over the back of a chair, on a bench, as a table runner or even as a picnic blanket, There are so many alternatives of using your kantha quilts.
Are you ready to add a few more to your collection? SHOP NOW
Kantha Throw –
Perfect in their Imperfections, vintage kantha quilts are a one-of-a-kind Indian cotton textile. Impregnate with the history and pride of their rich heritage, these admirably artistic and vibrantly colored throws are made by stitching together layers of old saris together. Kantha throws or blankets provide an amazing kaleidoscope of color, completely revamp and brightening up any living space with their exotic pattern and vibrant colors.
Vintage kantha quilts are a commodity of women’s art and were produced centuries ago by some very creative Indian women. Needy women in rural area of West Bengal in India required blankets for their babies, so took the softest parts of their well-worn cotton saris and pieced them together with an all-over running stitch. This idiosyncratic stitch came to be known as kantha. These vintage throws are substantially patched, quilted and distinctly embroidered textile made entirely out of used cloth, in most cases old saris. Impregnate with the history of their rich heritage, these magnificently artistic and brightly colored throws are made by stitching together multiple layers of old recycled saris.
The best aspect about this homemade vintage quilt is the little repair patches, their loose and uneven threads that add immense character to the quilt and give It a one of a kind look. Completely hand-stitched, these quilts are such an alluring and exhilarating break from the lump produced machine made products of the day. They provide an amazing kaleidoscope of color, completely mutate and brightening up any living space with their incredible details and vibrant colors.
Vintage Kantha Quilt’s vintage throws are imported directly from the villages of West Bengal. A number of pieces come from West Bengal on the east coast and are finished by Indian artisans to give these a vibrant look.
To purchase Vintage Throws from Vintage Kantha Quilt, please contact us.
Kantha Patchwork Throws
Vintage kantha patchwork quilts or throws are a unique kind of patchwork throw that originate in West Bengal state of India. These throws represent the alluring artistry of this region of creating stunning throws and Kantha blankets from scrap fabrics.
These vintage patchwork quilts were originally made in the 1950s, 60s, 70s and 80s by older women in the village households in India to mark peculiar occasions – be it child birth, a marriage in the family, wedding gifts or a husband transmit to faraway lands. To produce these beautiful throws, women use the softest and most beautiful parts of their old saris and other garments, cut them into random shapes and positioned them in a way to create an artistic masterpiece. They hand stitched all the layers together using thousands of tiny kantha stitches to make these beautiful Kantha Throws. The kantha stitches provided the throw with a beautiful ripple effect, creating a warm, cozy and special cover for the family. A typical patchwork throw took weeks to make, becoming a truly prized custody of the family and being passed down as an heirloom.
These patchwork Kantha throws could age anywhere between 30 to 80 years. Their age can be seen in the softness of the fabric and the washed out colours. Some throws we obtain are literally disintegrating in places! Some damaged portions are remodeled with interesting patches which add further to the personality and uniqueness of the throws.
Though these throws were created decades ago, their glimpse and feel as stylish and contemporary as any modern throw. Their vibrant and beautiful colours are what truly catch the eye and attention.
We have a selection of single, double and king and queen-size decorative Indian bedspreads to beautify your home or living room. Our exclusive collection of vintage and contemporary Indian bedspreads that reflect the richness of Indian textiles will reconstruct your interior into a majestic palace. Transit yourself on an exotic voyage with our luxury handmade, colourful and embroidered Indian bedspreads; with mirror work, tapestry, pure cottons, soft velvet and delicate silk patterns and styles. Our range is so versatile; you can easily modernize your living space throughout the seasons and bring a flush of to uplift the ambiance of any setting.
Sleep in style with beautiful vintage Indian quilts. At Home Soul we source all our ethical Indian quilts from the finest suppliers. Bringing a touch of charm to tailor design any space, we have a wide-range of colors to suit different schemes. These timeless exotic Indian quilts can be used as bed covers or throws as a feature for an abundance of glamour and vintage romance. Pretty patchwork and printed pure cottons look gorgeous against antique wood or soft fabrics to refresh and revamp the vibe of master and guest bedrooms alike. Indian quilts are made from fabric with intricate floral and fruit patterns, pieced together and then stitched all over with running hand stitch to make the most exquisite bedding, owing to their softness and comfort. Indian quilts are perfect for dressing up bohemian chic bedrooms with neutral paint schemes for their high visual appeal and home design.
Handmade Kantha cushions
Be inspired to embellish your home living with our assortment of sophisticated handmade cushions. Add a hint of colour to your home with extravagant, hand-stitched vintage kantha pieces. Home Soul offers a wide choice of handmade cushions including Kantha Cushion Cover, Bird print Cushions, Floral and fruit cushion cover, patchwork style all finished to the highest standard. While it may seem simple, colour coordination offers a range of possibilities for exciting enhancement to complement almost any kind of home design, in the bedroom, office or reception areas, lounge, dining room or conservatory. The buoyant colours and delicious hand stitched patterns bring flow and energy to tired sofas and a striking contrast to wormy bold coloured upholstery. Individuality in rooms can be as breath-taking or subtle as you like with our handmade cushions, in fact choosing a matching palette of colours for your home canvas will help rooms flow together optically and feel more inviting. Help balance monochromatic motif with a colourful twist on tradition, setting the mood of your home for a tempting aesthetic. A contrast of colours not only creates a feel of delicacy and luxury, but can impact remarkably on the perception of the size of rooms. The sky is the limit with our handmade Kantha cushion collection so enjoy your playful pairing and personalized décor makeover.
Know more about Kantha Customised order to get Kantha of your own choice.
It all began with a wedding gift. VintageKanthaQuilt, that is.
Before beginning all of this, I was familiar with the inspiring work started by Sultan and his wife, and had a personal connection with the girl running its operations. I really wanted to buy one, but, living on a graduation student income with our family of 6, I could not quite justify the gratification.
When my friend, Joe, announced that she was engaged, I knew that it was the perfect excuse to buy one!
Joe had been widowed several years before, while pregnant with her second child. Her impending marriage to an amazing man was a glimmer of redemption from the pain & privation of the preceding years. I loved the parallel there – the empathy with women on the other side of the world who were experiencing their own mending from pain & adversity.
Beyond the deep meaning, it was also incredibly practical – she already had a house full of dishware, home Décor, furniture, small appliances, towels, & picture frames! I knew that the Kantha blanket would find some use between the Six members of their house, that it would last a lifetime, and that it would be recognized & remembered always.
Nearly 3.5 years later, it’s still true! The blanket resides on their main Chaise Lounge and is loved daily. And I have bought many, many more colorful blankets since!. I am simply in love with them, afterall these are so BEAUTIFUL!! As the gift-giver, what more could I want?
Forget the place settings. A kantha blanket from vintagekanthaquilt is the perfect wedding gift. Not only is it unique and exquisite – no stainless steel here – it is totally memorable, and will be with the couple forever!
If you want to give a gift that will be useful, artful, lasting, and appreciated, this is it. They can snuggle in for winter movie nights, take it out for a picnic in summer, and use it every month between. It is so multi usage and at the same time perfect for anyone anywhere.
Shop now for Quilts, throws, or buy a Kantha Cushion Cover.